Friday, April 04, 2008

MMMMMuffins!

I love to bake. My kids love muffins. We have them often. I make homemade and muffins from a mix. I like them both, especially flavors that I have a hard time making from scratch (like almond poppy seed, yum!) So I decided to share my kids' favorite muffin recipe with you. Now, it's probably their favorite because it is almost like dessert. But, it's sooo good.

One thing I love about making muffins from scratch is knowing exactly what ingredients go into the food I'm feeding my family. No preservatives or agents designed to prevent settling/ caking/ foaming, etc. It also gives me the chance to healthy up a recipe. Don't get me wrong, these muffins, with one cup of sugar and a stick of butter, are not health food. But, with a few simple changes to the recipe, they can be better for you.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins (Healthier Version)

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 medium carrot, finely shredded
3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line with paper cupcake liners 18 muffin cups.

2. Combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Stir to combine.

3. Add the eggs, milk, melted butter and shredded carrot. Stir until just blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon into prepared muffin pans. Bake until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; 15-18 minutes. Cool in pan for five minutes. Remove and cool completely.

Yield: 18 muffins


If you don't want the healthier version, substitute all purpose flour for the whole wheat flour and omit the carrot. I figure any way I can get extra fiber into my kids diet is worth it, even if it's just a little whole wheat flour in a chocolate muffin. The carrot was a last minute inspiration after realizing my kids love zucchini and carrot muffins when I make those. The key is using the finest shred option on your grater. The carrot shreds just melt right into the muffin and are not noticeable. My kids had no idea I had put a carrot in the batter.

1 comment:

Alison said...

those sound delish..I think I will make them tomorrow..thanks..