Friday, December 09, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Cake

 Well, I know I said the Cocomac Dreams were indulgent, and they are.  But this dessert, this is the most indulgent, rich, fantastic chocolate lovers dream that I've ever created.  I have for many years wanted to make a flourless chocolate cake.  I just never did.  Then, one of the women in our Bunco group discovered she had Celiac Disease.  So, instead of trying to make something separate for her to enjoy, I made something we all could enjoy.  Even though this dessert is gluten free, don't think for a minute that it is only for people with wheat allergies or issues.  This dessert will be sure to be a hit with all adults with taste buds.  It is that GOOD!


Flourless Chocolate Cake

½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
18 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6 eggs, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Grease one 10-inch round springform pan. Wrap bottom and up the outside of springform pan in aluminum foil. Set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.

In the top of a double boiler, melt the bittersweet chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.

Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, one piece at a time until all the butter is mixed in. Beat in the hot sugar-water mixture. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Put the springform pan into a larger cake pan. Fill the larger pan with boiling water until it reaches 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the springform pan side.

Bake the cake in the water bath for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Remove pan from water bath and let cool for at least 30 minutes on wire rack. Refrigerate cake overnight in pan. To unmold, open springform pan and place on serving plate.

Yield: 1 10-inch cake (about 16 servings)


Notes:  I used as much Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate I could find, which was 12 ounces.  Then I used 6 ounces of Nestle bittersweet bars.  I would just suggest to buy the best chocolate you can.  you may also want to sample the baking chocolates.  I found the Ghirardelli to be a bit more bitter than the Nestle, so I think the mix was nice.  Find what tastes good to you. 

Be sure your butter is at room temperature so it mixes easily into the chocolate.  I actually don't have my eggs at room temperature, but I do take them out of the refrigerator as soon as I start this recipe, so they have some time to warm up.  Finally, make sure your foil is large enough to cover the bottom of the springform pan so no water from the water bath can seep through.

This really is a rich, decadent cake.  Serve small slices with raspberry sauce and whipped cream.  It is divine!

8 more recipes and 16 more days until Christmas!

No comments: