Thursday, December 22, 2011

Succotash

I actually have no idea what succotash is.  In my mind it is some crumbled meat mixed with some potatoes and other vegetables and served over toast or something like that.  I might have mixed it up with hash, but no mind.  When my sister-in-law, Elizabeth, made this for Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago, I was little skeptical.  I'm not a huge fan of many green vegetables, and ones that LOOK like lima beans are no exception.  But, I'm the polite sort and so I tried Elizabeth's vegetable dish.  I'm so glad I did.  This instantly became one of my favorite vegetable side dishes of all times.  I took leftovers home and ate them for the next three days.  It is that good.  I now make it for holiday dinners and introduced edamame (soybeans) to my Ohio family.  (Ironically, my dad grew up a farmer and my mom in a small farming town, but they had not heard of edamame - I guess it is a big city thing.)


Succotash

4 slices bacon
¼ cup onion, chopped
10 ounces frozen corn
12 ounces shelled edamame

Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in pan over medium heat. After a minute or two add the onion and saute until bacon is cooked and onion is soft and golden. Drain fat.

Add corn, edamame and enough water (1/2 - 1 cup) to pan to cook vegetables. Cook until corn and edamame are cooked through and hot.


Notes: I really don't know if this is traditional succotash, but I don't care.  It is delicious.  The edamame has a nutty quality and of course the bacon adds yumminess to just about anything.  Add more onion if you are a fan.

Only 1 more recipe and 3 more days until Christmas!

No comments: