Friday, December 14, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits

In the last few years I stopped buying muffin mixes and have been making all of my muffins from scratch.  I also make homemade rolls and pizza dough.  I don't make biscuits often, but my husband likes them, so I decided to try my hand at homemade buttermilk biscuits.  Am I glad I did!  These biscuits are flavorful and flaky, and best yet, fast and easy to make!

Buttermilk Biscuits
Adapted from Southern Living: 30 Years of our Best Recipes "Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits"

2 cups all purpose flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold butter, cut up
¾ cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.

Put flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Stir to combine. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork just until flour is moistened. Turn dough out on to lightly floured pastry cloth. Knead 4 or 5 times.

Roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.

Yield: 16 biscuits


Notes: If you do not have parchment or a Silpat, grease the baking sheet.  After initially cutting out biscuits, gather dough scraps and re-roll and cut biscuits again.  If you don't have a biscuit or round cookie cutter, the mouth of a drinking glass works great.

Only 6 more recipes until Christmas!

No comments: