Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cranberry and Pistachio Icebox Cookie

I heard about the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap in October and found myself intrigued.  I love a good cookie swap, and thought it would be fun to mail my cookies to someone else.  I looked into it and signed up.  I have received two of my three packages and the kids and I have enjoyed tasting and eating them!

So far I've received Double Tree Chocolate Chip Cookies from David over at From Ballparks to BBQ and Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Cookies from Susan at The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen.  Both were super yummy!  I hope whoever gets my cookie creations enjoy them, too!

These cookies are a sturdy butter cookie studded with salty pistachios and sweet cranberries.  The combination is out of this world! 


Cranberry and Pistachio Icebox Cookies
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook Icebox Cookies recipe

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup pistachios, chopped and sifted
½ cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
½ cup sugar, for rolling

Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Add the flour, salt, pistachios and cranberries. Mix on low until combined.

Divide dough in half. Take one half and roll into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap log completely with parchment paper, making sure to cover ends. Repeat with second half of dough. Refrigerate until firm at least 1 hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove one log at a time from refrigerator. On clean surface spread out 1/2 cup sugar so it is the length of the cookie log. Unwrap cookie log and roll in sugar to coat outside completely. With sharp knife, slice dough into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place rounds 1 inch apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes or until cookies are golden brown around the edges. Leave on cookie sheet one minute before removing to cooling rack to cool completely.

Yield: 50 cookies


Notes: If you want to make half of the dough plain for a delicious icebox butter cookie, cut pistachio and cranberry amounts in half. Instead of adding them with the flour, spread half of dough on a piece of wax paper. Cover with chopped pistachios and cranberries. Gather dough up and work the pistachios and cranberries in by kneading the dough with your hands. Roll into log. Proceed as above.

Only 7 more recipes until Christmas!

4 comments:

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen said...

I could not wait to get this recipe! These were the best cookies ever and I have to admit they were hard to share! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Your cookies were DELICIOUS!!!! I cannot wait to try out your recipe :)

Thank you so so so much. All of my co-workers thank you, too! They were devoured in less than a day!

Leah said...

Loved your cookies! I actually had this recipe on my list of potential must-tries, so it was nice to taste how they turned out.

Beverly said...

These cookies are delicious and so easy to make. I ended up making my batch more square than round since I could not seem to keep my log at an even thickness when "rolling" it. No matter, they taste just as good no matter what the shape! Adding this recipe to my regular list of baked goods.