Friday, October 26, 2007

Toys

I'm beginning to wonder why we ever buy toys for the kids. In our house, the Littlest Pet Shop pets lay in their box, the Little People stay in their house (or castle), and the Strawberry Shortcake dolls never get their hair done at the Strawberry Salon. So what do the kids play with?

Paper, tape, and yarn. Honestly! While the Barbies and Play-Doh come out for an occasional play date, I can't keep enough scotch tape or masking tape in my house for my own needs because my two daughters are forever ripping or cutting paper into various shapes, then taping them together (glue has been temporarily outlawed after an unfortunate incident when I wasn't home and Brendan was taking a shower). I brought out some blue yarn to make necklaces with homemade beads the girls and I made last week, and now I'm continually cutting off pieces of blue yarn to use to play with the cat, to use as crowns or to just wrap around things in our house.

I'm seriously considering asking Santa to bring the girls a big box of paper, tape and multicolored yarn for Christmas this year. I think it will get played with a lot more than the Island Princess Barbie or Little People airplane. And maybe I can stop hiding my scotch tape on top of the refrigerator.

No comments: