Sunday, May 18, 2008

I See Some Gratuitous Baking In My Future

I did it! Today I went to Kohl's and bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer! I started looking at them seriously at the end of winter and the more I looked the more I wanted to buy one.

I must first state that I have never owned a stand mixer. And while my mom currently owns one, I have never actually seen her use a stand mixer. All my life growing up she used a hand mixer. So when I got married at the ripe old age of 22, I saw no reason to register for anything besides a hand mixer. I got a KitchenAid hand mixer that I have used frequently since my wedding day almost 13 years ago, and it still works great.

But as I've begun baking more and more, making cakes, frostings, cookies, cheesecakes, cinnamon rolls, pizza crusts, bread and muffins from scratch, I've started to wonder how nice it might be to not have to stand holding a mixer and spinning a bowl for ten minutes beating royal frosting. How if I hadn't completely softened my butter or cream cheese, I could still start the mixer and it would be creamed with the sugar in no time.

So I started researching stand mixers. I had decided on the KitchenAid pro 5 mixer, but had a hard time finding it in stock at many stores, especially in the color I wanted. So, I waited and started looking around again. I watched Alton Brown use a KitchenAid stand mixer on his Food Network show, and found my desire to own one grow stronger. I grew impatient. I searched the internet for deals. I visited kitchenware stores to see if they carried my coveted stand mixer. I weighed my options.

Then, it happened. I received my Kohl's ad with 30% off on the cover. And inside, the KitchenAid pro 600 was on sale. With my discount it would be almost the same price of the pro 5 with shipping and handling (I was considering ordering it online for awhile). So I headed to Kohl's today and there on the shelf were two red ones, a white one, and my licorice black pro 600. I lifted it onto the cart, and carefully made my way through the aisles. I passed a man who said he wanted that one bad. We discussed stand mixers for awhile and he told me I would love it. I headed for the register and bought my pretty black mixer. I brought it home and cleaned a space on the counter for it. It fits perfectly under my cabinets and is waiting to be turned on and start mixing things.

I can't wait!

On a side note, I have to thank my wonderful husband for always telling me to save my two savings bonds I received as high school graduation gifts for something for myself. There have been many times during our marriage that I thought of using them to buy something for our house or for the kids. Instead I got to buy my dream mixer. Thank you!

1 comment:

Brendan said...

When I advised getting something for yourself, I always kinda thought it would be something like this.

But a new mixer so you can crank out even more cakes and breads is good too!