Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Weight Loss Plan

Way back in January I talked about my Christmas weight gain and how I planned on somehow trying to lose the weight. I can say I've probably lost 1 1/2 pounds, though it's hard to tell on any given day. (My weight fluctuates, but lately it's about 1 1/2 pounds down from my highest weight after Christmas.) I haven't really done anything specific, though I am watching what I eat and snack on. I only eat one muffin at dinner, only one piece of garlic bread, that kind of thing.

Three days ago I decided it was time to add exercise to the routine. I am not a great exerciser. Although I was extremely active in high school (cross country, basketball, track, summer league softball), I just don't have the self motivation to keep myself moving on a regular basis. I go through periods of good exercising, followed by periods of complete laziness. My best exercise period was in 2005. I was in my sister-in-law's wedding in the Spring of that year, followed by my college 10 year reunion that June. I had excellent motivation. And lost a lot of weight through regular use of Pilates DVD's and careful eating. But once those events were over, so was my regular exercising.

I find that when I exercise, I eat better, because I don't want the exercise to go to waste. So if I can just add exercise to my regular daily routine, I know I'd have a better chance at losing weight. So this is my plan. For now, walk on the treadmill at least ten minutes a day. I know it's not much. I know it won't kill thousands of calories. But it's a start. And for me, the thought of finding a half an hour or more to exercise is difficult. But 10 minutes? That's nothing. I can start a show for my kids on the TV, run down to the basement, start the treadmill up and be done before the show is over. It feels doable. I know to really lose a significant amount of weight, I'll need to do more than 10 minutes on the treadmill. But for now, if I can just make this a regular part of everyday, I think it will help in my weight loss and help me to lead a healthier life.

That's my plan. I'll let you know if I don't stick to it.

4 comments:

Alison said...

that is great Heather...every little bit helps!!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I'm not doing very well on my diet, but I suppose we just have to keep trying!

Living Life said...

I know it's hard to find time to exercise. I am lucky if I get 20 mins 2 days per week on the treadmill. Hey - at least its something! I am joining Weight Watchers for the first time. Got to do something!!! Good luck with your plan.

Anonymous said...

I was searching for a good book to help me with my diet. In the end I googled it and found this site http://www.hungryforweightloss.com.

They are giving away a free ebook called "365 tips for healthy living". I didn't expect it to be any good because it's free but it's actually brilliant so I thought i'd share it here :)