Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Selling A House Sucks!

Brendan and I put our house up for sale 3 1/2 weeks ago. Since that time, I've been busting my butt to keep the place clean and ready for any and all showings. Having three kids, age six and under, makes for many cleaning opportunities. Breakfast and three snacks, all before 10:00 AM result in a lot of sweeping of the floor and wiping down of the kitchen table and other surfaces. (Those of you without kids are wondering why any child that ate breakfast would need one snack, let alone three before 10:00 AM, but those of you with kids know exactly what I'm talking about!) I have cleaned my bathrooms more times than I care to admit in one week, mainly because of hand washing, teeth brushing, and potty accidents.

But what is really beginning to grate on my nerves are the showings that are either non-showings, or showings that I don't know happened. Three times a realtor has come and either not left a business card or not shown up at all. I don't actually know which, because I can't tell if a brochhure was taken or not, and THERE IS NO BUSINESS CARD! Keeping a house ready to show is a pain in the butt enough, without having to pack up your kids and take them someplace entertaining without costing a lot (if any) money each time. Then, after altering your children's nap times so someone who may or may not want to buy your home can look at it, you come home to what appears to be a no show for the scheduled showing. No message, no card, no nothing. It's more than a bit frustrating, and highly unprofessional.

By the way, it doesn't help that the neighbors who bought the house across the street from you less than a year ago just decided to list their house for sale yesterday.

No comments: