Thursday, May 18, 2006

Stealing Is Bad

I was violated today, and it really pisses me off. It was definitely nothing scary or dangerous, but someone stole a ribbon magnet off of my van, at the public library, no less! What irks me is that I would NEVER take something off of another person's car, even if their bumper sticker or political magnet was completely stupid and offensive, I wouldn't even think to touch it. I might think to myself that the person is a bit of an idiot to think the way they do, but I wouldn't touch their stuff. Why? Because it's rude and illegal. If a person has differing opinions than my own and wants to share them with the world, then go for it. Who am I to stop you? But to then take my pro-life magnet off of my van, purely because you don't agree with it is just wrong. The problem with freedom of expression is that some people only want you to express yourself if you feel the same way they do about a topic. If you don't agree with them, then it's just fine to be rude, condescending, and to steal. I respect life, born and unborn. That's why I wouldn't touch anyone's pro-abortion materials on their cars, because those people deserve respect, too, even if they are misguided. Maybe that's the problem, no respect for life, no respect for other people. Period.

1 comment:

Jim Curley said...

Reminds me of some years ago when my car sported a pro-life bumper sticker. I had to go into Cambridge, MA once a week in the evenings. I would park right near Harvard Square. Almost every week my bumper sticker was torn off. Fortunately I had a large box of them in my trunk and simply applied another. I guess free speech only applies to certain citizens...