Friday, December 16, 2011

Classic Crumb Cake

 When I was a kid, I loved those Hostess Crumb Cakes.  You know, the little yellow cakes covered in cinnamony crumb goodness.  Definitely a special treat on the rare occasions when my mom bought them.  This is the adult version.  Actually, it is the Martha Stewart version.  And as with so many of the Martha Stewart recipes I have tried, it is a keeper. 

I made this for the Bible Study ladies and their kids, as well as my own kids.  It was a big hit.  One of my friends begged me to send her the recipe, while my kids devoured what was left when they got home from school.  Unfortunately for me, I only had one piece (a corner piece) left to take a picture with.  The middle pieces were prettier, but you get the general idea of how this cake looks.  It is a simple sour cream coffee cake, topped with a mountain of cinnamony crumbs.  Soooooooooo good.


Classic Crumb Cake

10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups sour cream
 
Crumb Topping:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3½ sticks (1 3/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously grease a 13x9-inch baking pan; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well mixed. Mix in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and the sour cream; beat just until combined.

Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the batter. Bake in preheated oven until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes.

Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

To make the crumb topping:
In a bowl, stir the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender until large, moist clumps form.

Yield: 1- 13x9-inch cake


Notes:  This was really delicious.  My picky kids loved it because there was no "chunks" in it.  My friend Lisa ate the cake out of the bottom of her piece and saved the crumbs for last.  It is so tasty and so good.  A real treat for a Christmas brunch or New Year's Day breakfast.

Only 5 more recipes and 9 days until Christmas!

3 comments:

Leanne said...

looks like a huge amount of crumbs to cake. Looks yummy. I make her ultimate streusal coffee cake.

Heather said...

This piece is actually a little skewed. The middle pieces aren't quite as "crumby".

Jo and Sue said...

This looks amazing! I definitely have to try this :)