Saturday, December 03, 2011

Snickerdoodles

I always love to start my 12 Recipes with a cookie recipe. Christmas cookies are such a tradition in our house. We have tins of Christmas cookies in our house from about the 2nd week in December until after Christmas. There are always lots of different kinds and we always have one or two after dinner, not to mention after school or in the middle of the afternoon for a quick treat.

I know Snickerdoodles are a fairly common cookie, but my mom never made them when we were growing up. When I was engaged to my husband, his Aunt Kathy threw me a bridal shower where family members each gave me a recipe for a recipe box. Two of his cousins gave me a snickerdoodle recipe. After I made them, I was hooked! Their cinnamony sweetness along with the crunchy cookie is a match made in heaven.


Snickerdoodles

¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1½ cups sugar
½ cup shortening
½ cup butter, softened
2 eggs
2¾ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 400ºF. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon; set aside. Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, the shortening, butter and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased (or parchment lined) cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until centers are almost set. Let stand on cookie sheet one minute before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 5-6 dozen

 
Enjoy!

 Only 11 more recipes and 22 days until Christmas!

No comments: