Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Creating Stuff

Today has been a very creative day at the McKillip house. This morning I took these:

They are tart Michigan cherries that I paid and arm and a leg for at the farmer's market yesterday (and well worth it!).

And I turned it into this:

This is a cherry crumb pie. I've never made one before (made lots of pies, just not this kind) and can't wait until dinner to have it for dessert tonight. My daughters helped me by pulling all of the stems out of the cherries so I could just stand and pit (and pit and pit!). They say they are going to taste the pie tonight - we'll see!

In case you couldn't see it well enough in the last picture, here's a close up of the crumb topping:

I stopped at the grocery store last night after Bunco specifically to buy some vanilla ice cream to enjoy with this pie tonight. I am soooooo excited.

Then this afternoon the kids and I built this contraption out of Legos:

I strung some yarn from the stairs to the drying rack in our living room and we have spent lots of time enjoying sending Lego men on a trip across the entryway. (My son attached the man on the bottom of the tram.)

Here's a little video of the tram in action:



Not sure what we'll create next but I'm sure it won't be long before we figure it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michigan Cherries are the best! Granted, I don't have to spend an arm and a leg for them. Michigan sweet corn is mighty tasty too.

Irish Coffeehouse said...

Oh yes, LOVE your oldest's name! :)

And can I just say when things calm down a bit more and I have a few hours to bake I'm SOOOO trying those nesting cookies. :) Too cool!

The pie looks de.li.ci.ous. I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Alison said...

that pies looks wonderful....can you share the recipe...I have a sour cherry tree in my front yard and I am always looking for recipes. Next year I will be happy to send you some cherries....we always have an abundance crop. We also have a sweet cherry tree!!