Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Buckeyes

No swearing in this post, I promise!

For the big game, I made an Ohio favorite for the kids, hubby and me to snack on. It is of course the ever popular Buckeye! And even though my beloved Bucks lost yesterday, we still had awesome treats to munch on each time they scored, and even a few left over today!

My most awesome big sister, Leanne, gave me this recipe. From what I understand, her husband and three daughters, as well as several school teachers and sometimes neighbors get to enjoy these tasty morsels of peanut butter and chocolate goodness several times during the football season. My family is not as fortunate, but come bowl game time, they know they'll be ready for the big game.


Buckeyes

▪ ½ cup peanut butter
▪ 3 tablespoons butter, softened
▪ 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
▪ 4 oz. chocolate flavored candy coating
▪ 4 oz. milk chocolate chips

Stir together the peanut butter and butter until smooth. Gradually add sugar, stirring until combined. Shape into 1 inch balls; place on wax paper. Let stand until dry (about 20 minutes) or refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Melt candy coating and chocolate chips in double boiler or microwave. Cool slightly. Dip balls in chocolate using a toothpick. Let excess chocolate drip off. Place on wax paper; let stand until set (or refrigerate).

Makes about 30


Notes on this recipe: The first time I made these, they turned out pretty ugly. they tasted great, but not pretty!
Some tips I've learned since that first time:
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. It will stay warmer longer and if you are a slow dipper like me, that's very useful

2. While melting the chocolate, pop the peanut butter balls in the freezer. The peanut butter ball never fell off once when I used this method.

3. Use two toothpicks at once. After dipping one ball, hold it upside down for a few seconds while dipping a second ball. Then place first chocolate dipped ball (buckeye) on waxed paper. I just find the chocolate spreads less and makes for a more authentic lookiing buckeye this way.

4. If you don't want the toothpick hole showing, rub the hole away with your fingers.

5. When I make these, I only get about 25. Might be because I like the peanut butter filling too much, might be because I make them too big. Not sure which it is.

I hope you enjoy these! I know we did, even if the Buck's didn't win. (Don't they look a lot like the real thing?)

3 comments:

Irish Coffeehouse said...

Yummy!!!! Buckeyes are my FAVE!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmm.... Those look good!

Living Life said...

I love Buckeyes too! I usually make them for the holidays. Go RAVENS Go!