Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shame On Me

I didn't vote for him. I admired him. Found him exciting. Thought his family seemed nice. But, I couldn't get past the fact that his voting record was extremely pro-abortion. I never once disparaged him in front of my children or husband (who likely did vote for him, though I don't technically know for sure). I did not stand up for him when my staunch Republican parents visited and made nasty comments during the local news coverage.

I wasn't actually upset (or surprised) when he won the election. I allowed myself to be excited that the United States had finally proven itself colorblind. It finally proved we could elect someone other than an old white guy. I began to read about the president-elect. I read about his two beautiful daughters and lovely wife. I allowed myself to believe that maybe he could make great things happen. I thought maybe, just maybe, he'll do really great things and be an awesome president. Maybe he would be able to transcend bipartisanship and bring this country together in the mold of Ronald Reagan.

As the inauguration neared and the local media stalked his every move, I felt sorry for his family, that they couldn't even go to a dolphin show and have a Hawaiian shaved ice without a press pool following them. But, I also was intrigued and somewhat thrilled to be witnessing history. Maybe Barack Obama was the best man for the job right now.

I watched many of the inauguration festivities, something I've not done in the past. I thought Malia and Sasha were adorable at the big concert on Sunday. I thought Michelle looked regal in the yellow dress and coat, not as perfect in the white ball gown. The girls looked pitch perfect in their J.Crew coats and matching scarves. Barack looked dapper in his suit. His slight smile and head bob during the mistake in the swearing in made it obvious he knew what he was supposed to say when Chief Justice Roberts flubbed the words. I was simultaneously surprised and moved by the sheer number of people who went to Washington for the inauguration.

And then reality set in. One day after the 36th anniversary of the Supreme Court's ruling in Roe V. Wade, President Obama reverses the "Bush administration's ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide abortion information." And he has already stated as seen here in his own words, that the first thing he'll do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act.

I am sickened at the work he has already undone, and will undo as president against the most helpless in our society, the unborn. It is not okay to kill our babies in the womb through abortion.

Barack Obama may do some good in our country, but giving women unfettered access to abortion is not a good, it is an evil. And shame on me for getting caught up in the excitement and celebration of his inauguration. I knew better on election day, and I should have known better in the weeks leading up to his swearing in.


"Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use violence to get what they want. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion"
-Mother Teresa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am also bothered by his pro-abortion voting record. I am so against it it's not even funny. However, I found myself in a frustrating place where I decided I needed to make some choices: Moral issues-or- issues that are currently affecting my family and I? It seemed cut and dry for me, I couldn't imagine another 4 years with a Republican War-happy president.

Irish Coffeehouse said...

I hear you! I really, really do!

This was my very first year really researching and scrutinizing candidates history and positions on issues. And I have to say I was not impressed.

BUT... I also have to say, I'm not sure Americans in general are truly ready to have a complete outlaw. As it is we have so many children in foster homes and available for adoption, could you imagine if that number increased even if it was by only 10%?

I'm not supporting his decision by any means whatsoever. I'm simply looking at it from all angles.

Anonymous said...

As much as I agree that abortion is not right, I don't believe that a law makes much difference. People will do things whether they are illegal or not (Prohibition to name one). The appeal should be to the women who are exercising their "lawful" right, not necessarily to the lawmakers.
Thanks for a well thought out piece...

CoraLee Moments said...

Heather, I'm so glad that you spoke out on this issue and the post was very well expressed. I can relate to feeling the same things...falling in love with his family and being so proud of our nation. I completely agree that I did not vote for him for the same reasons. I was so torn. I do believe that there is still hope, that a county's changes are driven by the people not the government. I know that you will take that passion and make changes around you that may enventually effect our nation. I hope you know that I am right beside you in that quest. Thanks again for posting.