Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ms. Bennett

I am really feeling optimistic about Ian's first grade teacher, Ms. Bennett. She seems to really want to partner with the parents in educating our children. She sent home a note today that allows each student to be a "student teacher" for two weeks. They will be responsible for whatever Ms. Bennett asks them to do, including a joke and a Bible quote. At the end of the two weeks, the "student teacher" is allowed to invite a special person into the classroom to read a book to the class. Even better than these encouraging signs, Ian is coming home excited about things that happened in school. He has told me interesting things he has learned about his teacher (her boyfriend is from Ohio, she has to take medicine for some problem with her leg) and is genuinely interested in what is going to happen each day. Finally, I was at the community center today and ran into Ms. Bennett. I didn't see her, she saw me and said, "I thought it was you. I saw you from down the hall and thought I saw you wearing that today at school." She didn't have to go out of her way to say hi to me, she could have gone about her day and I wouldn't have even known she was there. I have a really good feeling about this year.

No comments: