Saturday, September 03, 2005

I Had To Look Up The Correct Spelling For "Zucchini"

This recipe is so great. It is my mom's recipe, the one she used and I grew up eating. I continued her tradition and have several fans of this recipe here at home. Brendan, who hates zucchini, loves this bread. My kids gobble it up and are actually excited when they see zucchini on the kitchen counter because they know it means bread! Ian will be taking this for his school snack on Tuesday.

Zucchini Bread

3 beaten eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix together eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon gradually to zucchini mixture until thoroughly blended. Grease and flour two loaf pans and bake at 325 degrees for one hour.

Yield: 2 loaves


I love pecans with this bread, but my family doesn't, so I often leave them out. This bread is easily mixed with just a wooden spoon, no hand mixer is necessary. I like to peel the zucchini before using the grater with the smallest holes. Finally, I often make this bread into mini muffins and regular sized muffins. That is what I did today and it yielded 24 mini muffins and 16 regular sized muffins. It took 10-12 minutes for the mini muffins to bake and 15 - 18 minutes for the regular sized muffins. These freeze nicely and thaw quickly and make a great anytime snack.

No comments: