Tuesday, September 27, 2005

MMMMMMMMuffins!

I'm sorry I did not post a recipe last week. I was planning on posting this muffin recipe on Saturday, but Brendan was painting our bedroom, and that is where the computer is located. Needless to say I didn't feel like inhaling paint fumes all evening while posting the recipe. I will post two this week to make up for not posting one last week.

I made these muffins last week and they are always a hit. My kids and husband love them. Simple, sweet, and tasty.

Brown Sugar Muffins

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom

Cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture until just combined. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 16-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes befoer removing from pan to wire rack.

Yield: 1 dozen

This recipe did not originally call for the cinnamon or cardamom. I think the muffins really benefit by adding these spices. Try it both ways and see which you prefer. If you don't have cardamom, just substitute more cinnamon. Enjoy!

No comments: